WEBSTER CITY, Iowa – IMCA Modifieds and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods run without roofs at Hamilton County Speedway’s aptly named Mid Iowa Topless 50 on Tuesday, June 13.Modifieds race for $2,000 to win their 50-lap Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifier. Northern SportMods go 35 laps and chase a top check of $1,000.Twenty-six Modifieds will qualify for the starting grid with the top two non-qualifiers based on track standings completing the field.IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National and Allstar Performance State points will be awarded in both divisions, as will Side Biter Chassis North Central Region points for the Modifieds. Local track points will not be given.Pit gates open at 4 p.m. and the grandstand opens at 5 p.m. Hot laps are at 6:30 p.m. with racing to follow.Entry fees of $65 for Modifieds and $45 for Northern SportMods include the driver’s pit pass. Spectator admission is $17 for adults and $10 for kids. Pit passes are $30.The Mid Iowa Topless will be broadcast by IMCATV.More information is available at the www.hamiltoncospeedway.com website and by calling 515 832-5382.
Australia captain Steve Smith and vice-skipper David Warner have been banned for a year for ball-tampering.Cameron Bancroft, who carried out the cheating in South Africa, was given a nine-month ban by Cricket Australia.The three had already been sent home from Australia’s tour – before a fourth Test begins on Friday – amid widespread condemnation stretching beyond sport. Australia’s Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull had said the affair “bitterly disappointed the whole nation”.Smith, 28, and Bancroft, 25, have also been suspended from captaining Australia for at least the next two years.Warner, 31, will not be considered for “any team leadership positions in the future”, Cricket Australia said.Cricket Australia’s investigation also confirmed Bancroft used sandpaper to damage the ball during the third Test against South Africa.It found Smith and Bancroft had made “misleading public comments” when on Saturday they instead claimed it had actually been yellow tape.Cricket Australia had already concluded that coach Darren Lehmann was not involved in the controversy and he will remain in his post.The body’s chief executive James Sutherland said the three players were “sad, disappointed and remorseful”.He added: “This has caused damage to the game as a whole and certainly to Cricket Australia. It has compromised the fans’ faith in cricket and it’s our responsibility to reinstate that confidence.“It appears to be an isolated incident but if there are other allegations we will take them further. There was some courage in owning up but there was an element of untruth and that’s something we took into consideration.”Smith, Warner and Bancroft are banned from international and Australian domestic cricket. They will also serve 100 hours of “voluntary service in community cricket” and can appeal against the suspension.Cricket Australia said the players would be “permitted to play (Australian) club cricket and will be encouraged to do so”.They also remain eligible for competition outside of Australia, but earlier yesterday, Smith and Warner were also banned from this season’s Indian Premier League.In January the pair were signed to the most lucrative Twenty20 contracts ever offered to an Australian player – reportedly worth over Â£1m each.Before Wednesday’s IPL ban, Warner stepped down as captain of Indian Premier League side Sunrisers Hyderabad. Smith stood down as captain of Rajasthan Royals on Monday.IPL Chairman Rajeev Shukla said: “The players that they (Cricket Australia) have banned, we are also barring those two players from this season.“The franchises will get replacements for the players.”Bancroft is due to play for Somerset this season. On Monday Somerset said they would wait and “collate all the relevant information before considering our next steps”.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Three professors in the Viterbi School of Engineering have won three of ten contracts from a research program that aims to increase efficiency of low-powered electronics, USC announced Friday.The Power Efficiency Revolution For Embedded Computing Technologies Program, or PERFECT Program, is a division in the government’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (or DARPA) that not only deemphasizes constructing hardware, but also focuses more on the impact of the existing technology. DARPA, which was launched in 1958 as a response to the Sputnik launch, is used by software companies and the U.S. military to promote military projects.Michael Fritze, Massoud Pedram and Viktor Prasanna received contracts that will fund their continuing research in ultra low-power microelectronics. The research aims to lower the consumption of power that certain electronic devices use by 64 times less than what the current systems utilize.The competitors included professors from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and UC Berkeley, and Viterbi received more contracts than any other university.The professors, whose three contracts combined are a multi-million dollar deal to fund research for energy conservation, will focus on the benefit of low-powered devices and the dependability of such systems.A research professor of electrical engineering and electrophysics, Fritze created the low-powered circuits that are installed in computers and military electronic systems. The systems are also known as field programmable gate arrays, or FPGA. Fritze’s work has resulted in the lowest-powered FPGAs in the world, according to the Viterbi School of Engineering. Prasanna, who is the Charles Lee Powell Chair in Engineering and a professor of electrical engineering and computer science, was recognized for his work in signal-processing algorithms that work with low-powered devices.Pedram, an associate professor of electrical engineering systems, won for the development of low-powered circuits that are thinner than a single sheet of paper.John Damoulakis, the deputy director of advanced electronics at Viterbi’s Information Sciences Institute, said the systems can be applied to multiple industries.“The university has a long history of developing capable ultra-low-power microelectronics,” Damoulakis said. “These professors have spent decades designing low-powered devices and systems that can be applied to both commercial and military industries.”
Dodgers, Clayton Kershaw have ‘open dialogue’ with his opt-out looming If Friday’s homer had a little more significance than your average Cactus League homer, everything Kemp does this spring will be watched more closely. The Dodgers’ efforts to move his contract were unsuccessful during the offseason but have not ended. How he plays this spring could give those efforts a boost – or put Kemp more clearly in the Dodgers’ plans for this season.“I don’t know. You tell me,” Kemp joked when asked if he felt more eyes following him this spring.“Of course. I think that’s obvious. I mean, it is what it is. I played in L.A. for a pretty long time so I’ve always had eyes on me.”Dodgers manager Dave Roberts will have his eyes on Kemp. But he admitted he is more interested in seeing what Kemp looks like in left field than at the plate.Related Articles Dodgers playing it safe with Austin Barnes’ sore elbow Dodgers, KTLA reach agreement to simulcast 5 early-season games Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error GLENDALE, Ariz. — Been here, done this.Wearing a Dodgers uniform in a game for the first time since the 2014 National League Division Series, Matt Kemp went 2 for 2 with a three-run home run that evoked memories of a bygone era – the 2006 through 2014 seasons when Kemp hit 182 regular-season home runs for the Dodgers.“Oh, heck yeah. The fans standing up? That was pretty cool, for sure,” Kemp said of being cheered by Dodgers fans again.“It was exciting to me. Here, the fans like to come to spring training so the games are always exciting. I got a pretty warm welcome. It’s better than the Dodgers fans booing me when I was on the other side. It was exciting.” Dodgers reliever Pedro Baez, who went from setup man to whipping boy, tries to move on “We haven’t seen Matt in a few years,” Roberts said. “So for us to see him and see how his body is moving … it’s really not in the batter’s box. He’s been very productive throughout his career (offensively). Obviously there are good seasons and there are not so good seasons but in the batter’s box he’s been pretty consistent with production. The dropoff has been defensively. I think that’s something Matt’s very clear on and for us to keep an eye on.” Slimmed down by 40 pounds since last season, Kemp wasn’t tested defensively in Friday’s game – “Hey, I caught my first ball today so I’m doing good,” he joked. But all indications are he has accepted the challenge to reverse his defensive regression.“Being in shape and feeling good is going to make playing defense easier,” Kemp said. “Hit and play defense. That’s going to win games.”PUIG’S HIPRoberts said Yasiel Puig was originally in the lineup for Friday’s Cactus League opener but was scratched due to a sore hip. Roberts said the issue was not serious and blamed Puig’s new cleats for causing the problem.“He had a different pair of shoes that he’s breaking in,” Roberts said. “He didn’t put his orthotics in.”Puig did go through the Dodgers’ full workout Friday and Roberts said he will start one of the team’s split-squad games Saturday.TV GUIDEThe Dodgers and KTLA have once again reached agreement to simulcast some early regular-season games on SportsNet LA and KTLA5.Five games (including SportsNet LA’s pre-game show) will be simulcast during the first month of the regular season – Friday March 30 against the San Francisco Giants, Saturday April 7 also against the Giants, Friday April 13 against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Saturday April 21 against the Washington Nationals and Saturday April 28 from San Francisco.The release announcing the simulcast agreement also included this statement on the status of the ongoing distribution issues that have limited access to Dodgers broadcasts – “SportsNet LA and Dodgers games are exclusively available on Charter’s Spectrum service and other distributors are not expected to carry SportsNet LA this season.”WAIVER WIREThe Dodgers claimed right-hander J.T. Chargois off waivers from the Minnesota Twins on Friday. Chargois, 27, made 25 relief appearances for the Twins in 2016, going 1-1 with a 4.70 ERA. Originally a second-round pick out of Rice University in 2012, Chargois had Tommy John surgery in 2013 and missed nearly all of last season due to a stress reaction in his elbow.In order to clear a 40-man roster spot for Chargois, left-hander Julio Urias was placed on the 60-day DL. Urias is recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be available to pitch until late in the season. Dodgers hit 4 home runs to beat White Sox in Cactus League opener
SAN DIEGO — At the end of the 2006 season, Padres executive Sandy Alderson allowed Bruce Bochy to step away from his position as manager and leave for the same role with the Giants.Bochy’s departure was unceremonious at the time, but his career is not short on ceremonies.Three of the most memorable took place on Market Street in San Francisco. One was staged at Petco Park on Friday evening ahead of Bochy’s final series with the Giants in San Diego.The Padres paid tribute to the winningest …
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Arnesen on Anderlecht axe: No chemistry with Kompanyby Paul Vegas8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFrank Arnesen has spoken of his axing by Anderlecht.The former Chelsea and Tottenham football chief was dumped by the Belgian giants last week.”It didn’t catch me. I’ve always thought it was a matter of when. Our conversation was mature and respectful,” Arnesen told BT.”They thanked me for what I did, but also told me why. “One of the things was that they didn’t feel the chemistry was the way it should be between me, them, and Kompany (Anderlecht’s coach Vincent Kompany).”
Gang arrested over player burglaries; Thomas Partey recovers Champions League medalby Carlos Volcano8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe gang that pulled off a series of burglaries against LaLiga footballers has been caught and arrested.Eldiario.es reports four people have been arrested connected to raids on homes of players of Real Madrid and Atletico. The operation was carried out between the cities of Madrid and Toledo, where the alleged criminals were arrested. Law enforcement have managed to recover some valuables that were taken from the homes of the players. Among the jewels and other belongings, the Champions League runners-up medal of Thomas Partey was found. The Atletico Madrid midfielder’s home was raided earlier this month, while he was in Russia for the European match against Lokmotiv Moscow.Casemiro, Isco, Zinedine Zidane and Alvaro Morata were some of those in Madrid who were victims of robberies. About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Paul Ince believes his Liverpool team should’ve won Premier League titleby Paul Vegas7 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Liverpool captain Paul Ince believes his team should’ve won the Premier League title.Ince reckons that he could have been a Premier League champion with the Reds if he’d had the current side’s defence alongside him.The former midfielder told the Liverpool Echo: “I felt that we had a very talented team. Jamie Redknapp in midfield, Patrick Berger and (Steve) McManaman, I think we had the most goals in the league in those roles, and then you’ve got Michael upfront, Robbie Fowler, (Karl-Heinz) Riedle, so we had some top, top players.“At the back we never got it right. I look at the Liverpool team now, if we had that back five, we would’ve won title after title after title because the rest of the team was pretty much in order.“That kind of rankles with me a bit, also the fact that I was there two years. I should’ve really had longer.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say