Kerr says Warriors enduring ‘most difficult season’ of finals runs View comments Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? LATEST STORIES Almazan, who is averaging 17.63 points and 9.5 rebounds, has formed a lethal frontcourt partnership with Johnson who’s put up 23.75 points, 17.63 rebounds, and 4.25 assists.“It’s so nice to have Reggie in the paint, and he’s not the type of player that will be frustrated when you don’t give him the ball,” said Almazan. “Another thing is he’s unlike some of our previous imports that get lazy when we trail in the game.”“Reggie’s the one who will encourage you when the going gets tough and he’ll always say ‘come on team, let’s go!’ so there’s that willingness in him.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Raymon Almazan. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netHe may have reached a milestone in his career Friday night, but for Raymond Almazan, it was just another day in the office.Almazan put up a career-high 26 points with 12 rebounds and two blocks in Rain or Shine’s 104-94 victory over Blackwater in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup, but the five-year veteran just shrugged it off like it was no big deal.ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “That’s nothing, it’s just the team is on a roll right now,” said Almazan in Filipino Friday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.With the win, the Elasto Painters locked up a spot in the quarterfinals and Almazan said their 7-1 run in the conference is all thanks to the confidence head coach Caloy Garcia has given the team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“Coach Caloy just gives us this confidence and everything starts in practice,” said Almazan who scored 21 points in the first half.Another factor in Almazan’s stellar play in the Commissioner’s Cup is his frontcourt partnership with Reggie Johnson.
Dear Editor,I read the report from another section of the media about the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) working with regional administrations to ensure that budgetary funds are properly spent and accounted for. This support role is a new turn when you consider what the SARA law is mainly focused on. The SARA law, when you read the reports from the Department of Public Information, stipulates the functions of SARA to include investigating whether State property was obtained through unlawful conduct involving a public official or any other person and the tracing and identifying of property wherever situated, suspected to be State property obtained from unlawful conduct involving a public official or any other person.But SARA isn’t talking about taking the Regional Executive Officers (REOs) to court over overpayment on contracts and that sort of action. All Guyanese have seen the unwillingness of SARA to investigate anything connected with actions of this Government; even last week’s media reports about Government Ministers selling passports and work permits and setting up front companies to benefit from taxpayers’ monies. So, if SARA isn’t going after Government Ministers, why would they go after these REOs who are acting contrary to the laws, right?Or is it because most of the REOs were appointed by the same Government that appointed the people running SARA? Aubrey Heath-Retemyer himself said SARA is not in the regions to “run things,” but is there to “point out” where there are things that are going in the wrong direction.Or it is that SARA knows that if it takes cases against these REOs, or even Government Ministers to court, it would not win the case? The SARA Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) are in positions, despite what the law says about how appointments to these positions should be made. Everyone was of the view that a new Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) would be appointed, once the Bill was passed last year. Their functioning of Aubrey Heath-Retemyer and Clive Thomas is unconstitutional and in contravention of the law.Editor, these are serious issues that raise many worries for Guyanese people. The SARA law gives much power to the people running it and since the people running it were handpicked by this APNU/AFC Government, the SARA Bill gives much power to them.Sincerely,Attiya Baksh
Breaking News -The partly decomposed body of an unidentified man was in the wee hours of Monday discovered along the Kilmarnoc, Corentyne, Berbice Public Road.While information on the discovery is limited at this time, the Guyana Times understands that the body was found at about 3:30h with visible marks of violence.A police source confirmed that they are treating the incident as a possible murder since there were no signs of a vehicle accident at the scene. A post mortem is expected to be performed shortly. Investigations are on-going.
A Joint Services exercise on Friday has resulted in the arrests of a boat captain and his bowman after an illegal weapon and matching ammunition were found in their vessel.The discovery was made sometime around 15:15h at the Pomeroon River mouth, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam).According to reports, ranks from the Guyana Police Force, the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) and the Guyana Defence Force’s (GDF) Coast Guard, who are stationed at the Floating Base in the Pomeroon River, conducted a stop-and-search exercise on the cargo vessel.During the routine check, the ranks unearthed an unlicensed 12 gauge shotgun and 67 matching cartridges concealed in the bow of the boat.The 28-year-old captain and his 32-year-old bowman, who reportedly admitted ownership of the unlicensed weapon and ammunition, are in custody pending charges. Both men are said to be from Jacklow, Pomeroon. The Joint Services exercise was commanded by an Assistant Superintendent of Police.This operation comes two days after three men were intercepted in Georgetown with over 5kg of cocaine, two unlicensed firearms and matching ammunition, along with millions of dollars in local and foreign currencies.The trio was reportedly in the process of transferring a box from one car to another on Wednesday evening when CANU ranks swooped down on them.They were subsequently charged and remanded to prison.
Marseille have rejected an approach from Stoke City for Michy Batshuayi.The striker has been in stunning form this season and has found the net 12 times so far.Newcastle and Tottenham have been scouting the Belgian, as have several other clubs from around Europe.Stoke were keen too but, according to L’Equipe, they have seen an approach for Batshuayi rejected.The Ligue 1 side are reluctant to part with their star striker this late in the transfer window.Marseille also believe they can command a higher fee for Batshuayi in the summer, when more clubs will be ready to spend. 1 Michy Batshuayi
THE new Josper grill at the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny is certainly pulling in the crowds.And we’ve got a great prize for a couple looking for a lovely night out at Dexter’s Smoke House Restaurant at the hotel.Donegal Daily and Dexter’s have teamed up to offer one lucky couple a fabulous meal for two from the full A La Carte menu there. The Josper Grill is the latest professional tool that has taken the international culinary world by storm with lauded Chef’s such as Heston Bluementhol, Gordon Ramsay and Jason Atherton creating Josper – Centric Menus in their own establishments.The Spanish Hybrid Indoor Barbeque Grill / Oven powered by Bincho-tan ‘white’ hardwood oak charcoal is renowned for the best tasting grilled meat, fish & vegetables swiftly and more importantly perfectly cooked!This luxurious intimate restaurant offers extensive A La Carte and Set Menus in exquisite surroundings. Weekly specials and chef recommendations available. Dexter’s Smokehouse is pure elegance featuring a grand piano and large open fire, the perfect lunch time treat or romantic dining venue.You can see the full menu below. All you have to do to enter is answer the following question and send your answer, your contact number and where you’re from in County Donegal by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org. From which bay in County Donegal do the chefs at Dexters source their scallops?Entry is FREE – and you must have your answer with us by 6pm this Sunday, August 18th.Good luckAnd here’s that all important link for your answer:http://www.mounterrigal.com/Dining/Dexter’s-Smokehouse-Restaurant WIN A ROMANTIC DINNER FOR TWO AT DEXTER’S RESTAURANT AT THE MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL was last modified: August 15th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:dinner for two competitionWIN A ROMANTIC DINNER FOR TWO AT DEXTER’S RESTAURANT AT THE MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL
Constance Cassidy, far left, and Eddie Walsh, right, chat at Lissadell yesterdayTOURISM in Donegal has been given a huge boost with news that Lissadell House in north Sligo re-opens from today.Taoiseach Enda Kenny will formally re-open the ancestral home of 1916 Rising leader Constance Markievicz on Friday.The house and estate closed four years ago after Sligo County Council took the home’s owners to court in a bid to establish four public rights of way on the property. Barrister couple Eddie Walsh and Constance Cassidy fought the move – they paid €4M for the house in 2003 and spent another €10M on restoring it.The house was closed during the four years of legal battles which the Walshes won last November.A small piece of road leading to a beach was declared a right of way, but the rest were not.The Lissadell estate will now bring tens of thousands of extra tourists to the North West this summer, many choosing to stay at hotels in Donegal while they are here. Lissadell is just outside Grange. LISSADELL HOUSE RETURN GOOD NEWS FOR DONEGAL TOURISM was last modified: June 16th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Lissadell Housesligo
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEW YORK – High-powered technology banker Frank Quattrone was granted a new trial Monday when a federal appeals court tossed out his conviction on charges he obstructed a government probe of stock offerings at the height of the dot-com boom. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan said the evidence was sufficient to sustain a conviction but that the May 2004 verdict must be thrown out because the jury was improperly instructed on how to interpret the law. It also ordered that the case be reassigned to another judge. Quattrone was sentenced to 18 months in prison after he was convicted of obstruction-of-justice charges related to a federal investigation of initial public offerings of stock. An earlier trial of Quattrone ended in a mistrial when a jury deadlocked. Quattrone, 50, has been allowed to remain free while appealing his conviction. Quattrone was one of the biggest names on Wall Street during the 1990s Internet stock boom, supervising 400 technology investment bankers from the Palo Alto offices of Credit Suisse First Boston Corp. The trial of Quattrone focused on what he knew and did after the National Association of Securities Dealers in May 2000 began investigating CSFB’s underwriting of initial public offerings. The NASD has since barred Quattrone from the securities industry for life. The NASD probe was followed by investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and a federal grand jury into how the company handled initial public offerings. The company was never criminally charged but Quattrone was accused of hindering the federal probe. Prosecutors cited a December 2000 e-mail in which Quattrone endorsed a colleague’s suggestion that bankers “clean up” their files. Quattrone testified he was following bank policy when he issued the e-mail and that he knew almost nothing about a grand jury subpoena seeking documents involving hundreds of initial public offerings of stock during the late-1990s Internet boom. In its ruling, the appeals court said the trial judge, Richard Owen, incorrectly told jurors they did not need to find a nexus between Quattrone’s actions and pending investigations of his company. It said Owen’s instruction was at odds with last year’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling throwing out the conviction of the Arthur Andersen accounting firm for destroying Enron Corp.-related documents. The Supreme Court in that case ruled that the jury instructions were too broad. In its ruling, the 2nd Circuit said: “The Supreme Court has made clear that the conduct to be punished, then, must not only be made with wrongful intent but also with a consciousness that the conduct in question is wrongful.” It added: “We cannot confidently say that if a rational jury was properly instructed, it is clear to us beyond a reasonable doubt that they would have convicted Quattrone.” Quattrone, who took prominent companies such as Amazon.com public during the Internet stock craze, was the highest-profile Wall Street figure since junk-bond pioneer Michael Milken to face a criminal conviction. His lawyers said Owen also made inconsistent rulings about evidence and testimony that kept their client from getting a fair trial. The appeals court ordered several changes at any future trial favorable to Quattrone, including the elimination of one line of government questioning that it said went too far and the inclusion of some Quattrone evidence that was kept out. The appeals court called Owen a dedicated judge but ordered the case reassigned, saying portions of the trial transcript “raise the concern that certain comments could be viewed as rising beyond mere impatience or annoyance.”
Brian Mc Cormick Sportsmans cupLagan Harps 2 Drumoghill Fc 2 (Lagan won 3-1 on pens)Keith Hegarty got his managerial career of to a good start when Lagan overcame Drumoghill on penalties after a thrilling but sporting contest. Lagan started well and Kevin Kelly forced Paul Mc Auley in to a fine save from a free. Drumoghill went close when after a goalmouth scramble Travis Crawford cleared Liam O’Donnell’s effort off the line.Lagan took the lead when Kevin Kelly converted a penalty when Paul Mc Auley was adjudged to have taken down Kenny Doran. Lagan increased their lead when Kenny Doran headed home a Kevin Kelly free.Drumoghill introduced Marcus Oliver at halftime and he had an immediate impact. He reacted first when Chris Malseed’s header came off the bar, to fire home.He equalised on sixty five mnutes with a fine angled drive. Chris Malseed then went close for Drumoghill with an acrobatic volley. Paul Mc Auley kept Drumoghill in the tie when he saved from Mark Harkin when he broke through, and then saved Kevin Kelly’s follow up long range lob. He then pulled off a fine save from Kenny Doran.Play swung from end to end as both teams chased a winner.In the penalty shootout Damien Mc Fadden saved Drumoghill’s first two penalties, with Lagan scoring their first three. When Paul Mc Cauley’s penalty went over the bar Lagan were through.Best for Lagan were Mark Harkin, Kenny Doran and Daniel Clarke. For Drumoghill Chris Malseed, Paul Mc Cauley and Philip White stood out. Referee was Joe Mc Hugh.SOCCER: LAGAN BEAT DRUMOGHILL ON PENALTIES IN BRIAN McCORMICK SPORTSMANS CUP was last modified: August 14th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
During an interview on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta this morning, Jimmy Begley, former Chair of Independent Fianna Fáil, said that the merger of Independent Fianna Fáil and the main Fianna Fáil party never really worked, and that it was a mistake.Speaking to Frances Nic Géadaigh this morning on Raidió na Gaeltachta, Begley said that Independent Fianna Fáil had never really been welcomed into the Fianna Fáil camp, that they had always been viewed as the enemy and he described the situation as ‘them and us’. He also said that the merger had never really been completed on the ground, and that only some of the positions on the committee had been filled.Begley said that he was very hurt, and that the members were gutted by the way things had panned out, as they were left now with no voice and no direction. He said that he would welcome the re-establishment of Independent Fianna Fáil, but feared that it may be too late. Jimmy Begley was speaking to Frances Nic Géadaigh on Adhmhaidin on Raidió na Gaeltachta this morning.MERGER WITH FIANNA FAIL WAS MISTAKE, SAYS EX-IFF CHAIR was last modified: September 8th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)