Teen crushed was “ketching his hand” during visit to Kwakwani

first_imgDead: Roy Odel WelchmanFifteen-year-old Roy Odel Welchman, who was crushed on Sunday last after he allegedly slipped off the side of a truck and fell between the wheels of a skidding machine, was “ketching his hand” during a trip to Kwakwani.This was revealed by a relative who told Guyana Times that the young man, a former student of School of Excellence in Linden had visited Kwakwani to spend time with his ailing father while his sister, with whom he lived in Linden, was out of the country. As such, he used the opportunity to “ketch his hand”.The relative said Welchman had only been working with the company, T Bovell Concessions, for a short time and was tasked with operating the GPS and record keeping for the said company.“He is a student but he recently travelled there to visit his father and like all young men when they get bored, they do want to look work you know so he just went to ketch he lil raise in the meanwhile he was there,” the relative said.The relative further said that the family is making preparations for his burial on Saturday and will also be making arrangements to meet with officials from the company.It was reported that on Sunday at about 17:30h at 16 km Bisarooni Backdam, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice), Welchman was in the company of a driver and a porter when the accident took place.According to the police, the driver used the skidder to leave the backdam, and on the way out, the skidder hit a bump causing the teen, who was reportedly standing on the left side of the machine, to lose his balance and fall.Guyana Times understands that the operator immediately brought the skidder to a halt and in doing so, it ran over the teen.The driver and the porter rushed the injured young man, who was still conscious at the time, to the Kwakwani Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.The police noted that the 15-year-old’s body was examined and it was observed that it had bruises to both temples, swelling of the face and eyelids, a bruise to the left forearm, and bruises on the upper left side of the back.  Welchman’s body is presently at the Kwakwani Burial Ground on ice, awaiting a post-mortem.Up to late Tuesday afternoon, the operator of the machine along with the porter were released on station bail as Police continue their investigations.last_img read more

25 years after his bleak beginning, adopted crack baby earns law degree

first_imgPawley smiled and told the doctors to let her worry about that. She had plans for this abandoned baby, and they all called for a lot of love and hard work. That’s what she told me back in 1998 when we stood watching her “slow” son, D.D., walk on stage to give the valedictorian speech at Osborne Christian School in Arleta as he graduated with a 3.97 grade-point average. And that’s what she told me again Friday as she watched D.D. put on his cap and gown and get ready to graduate from law school. “Honest to God, I get chills,” she said. Pawley won’t forget those first nights looking down in the crib and seeing D.D. crying and squirming, curled up tightly in a fetal position. Or the hours she massaged his body to relax his muscles and uncurl him. Or the nights she and her husband, Dale, didn’t sleep because D.D. didn’t sleep. “We’d hold D.D. all night, hold him on our chests so he could hear our heartbeats,” she said. “Nobody really knew diddly about drug-addicted babies back then. He should have been in the hospital during those withdrawals, but he wasn’t. “Dale and I read everything we could get our hands on and even went up to Stanford University to talk to doctors working with drug babies up there,” Ila Pawley said. “You know what turned out to work best? Normal parenting. Love, hugging, caring, teaching. “We started him with words and listening to classical music. We showed him colors – Legos, blocks, anything that would stimulate him. Everything but television. “By the time D.D. started kindergarten, he could already read,” she said. “He still had a sleep disorder and some motor-skill problems, but academically he was excelling.” Ila Pawley’s plans for the most challenging child she would raise were working. All it was taking was a lot of love and a ton of hard work. She can’t even imagine life without this boy, Pawley said Friday, getting ready to go to the graduation ceremony with her husband and a couple of their older children who were able to get off work to travel to Arizona with them. They all turned out great – all 11 children she and Dale adopted, and the three they had themselves in what Ila calls “the first batch.” “They’ve all stayed in touch with each other,” she said. “The first batch loves the second batch. Everybody’s doing fine.” The love this woman gave him, well, he’s almost taken that for granted by now, D.D. said. He never lived a day under her roof when he didn’t feel it. The hard work, though, that’s what really gets to him now that he’s married and a dad with two babies of his own. “I think back on how tough it must have been for her to be raising all my brothers and sisters, and then have this sick little crack baby come into her life,” D.D. said. “She was willing to sacrifice so much for me. “I know I’ve gotten my perseverance and resolve from her. She taught me you only lose if you quit and give up, and that’s something I would never do. “She’s my rock, and I love her.” With that, the kid who came into this world a crack baby with two strikes against him gave his mother a hug and kiss before walking off to receive his degree from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law. Leaving his mom standing there with tears in her eyes, and getting chills. Dennis McCarthy’s column appears Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. dennis.mccarthy@dailynews.com (818) 713-3749 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Not bad for a kid who came into this world 25 years ago as a drug-addicted, African-American baby found abandoned outside a Los Angeles hospital. D.D. – Dale David – was 3 days old and weighed just 4 pounds when LosAngeles County adoption workers called the Pawleys and asked the middle-aged white couple living in Arleta if they had room for one more. They had already adopted and raised three children of mixed races, in addition to three children of their own. But, sure, they had room for one more, Ila Pawley told the county. This one would be the toughest, the doctors warned her. Because of the drugs in his system at birth, he would be slow. His motor-control skills would be poor, and he would be mentally delayed. The kid came into this world with two strikes against him. Then he hit a home run. Ila Pawley became his mom. “I got lucky. So lucky,” D.D. Pawley said Friday as he slipped on his cap and gown. “If it wasn’t for her love and all the sacrifices she made for me, I wouldn’t be standing here today.” A young man with a bright future, getting his law degree from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University and starting his career in a few weeks as a deputy district attorney in Sacramento. last_img read more