Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The defense ministry in Karabakh announced a total military death toll of 32 Monday. Seven civilian fatalities were reported earlier including an Azerbaijani family of five and one woman and a child on the Armenian side.The Armenian defense ministry said heavy fighting continued overnight and Monday morning along the frontline and claimed it had won back positions taken Sunday by Azerbaijani forces.But Baku claimed further advances.Azerbaijani forces “are striking enemy positions using rocket-artillery and aviation… and have taken several strategic positions around the village of Talysh,” the defense ministry said. Armenian separatists in the breakaway region of Nagorny Karabakh said Monday 15 more of its fighters have been killed in a flare-up of a territorial dispute, bringing the total death toll to 39 as the fighting entered a second day.World leaders have urged a halt to the fighting between Azerbaijan and the Armenian rebels after clashes erupted Sunday raising the specter of an all-out conflict that could draw in regional powers Russia and Turkey.Ex-Soviet Armenia and Azerbaijan have been locked since the early 1990s in a territorial dispute over the Armenia-backed secessionist enclave, with deadly fighting flaring up earlier this year and in 2016. Martial law Armenian military officials said Azerbaijani forces were continuing to attack rebel positions using heavy artillery, while Azerbaijan’s defense ministry accused separatist forces of shelling civilian targets in the town of Terter.Baku claimed to have killed 550 separatist troops, a report denied by Armenia.The clashes erupted Sunday morning with both sides accusing each other of initiating hostilities.Fighting between Muslim Azerbaijan and majority-Christian Armenia threatened to embroil regional players Russia, which is in a military alliance with Yerevan, and Turkey, which backs Baku.Armenia accused Turkey of meddling in the conflict and sending mercenaries to the battlefield.France, Germany, Italy, the United States, the European Union and Russia have urged a ceasefire.Armenia and Karabakh declared martial law and military mobilization Sunday, while Azerbaijan imposed military rule and a curfew in large cities.Ethnic Armenian separatists seized the Nagorny Karabakh region from Baku in a 1990s war that claimed 30,000 lives.Talks to resolve one of the worst conflicts to emerge from the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union have been largely stalled since a 1994 ceasefire agreement.France, Russia and the United States have mediated peace efforts as the “Minsk Group” but the last big push for a peace deal collapsed in 2010. “The enemy is retreating,” it added. Topics :
WEBSTER CITY, Iowa – IMCA Modifieds and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods run without roofs at Hamilton County Speedway’s aptly named Mid Iowa Topless 50 on Tuesday, June 13.Modifieds race for $2,000 to win their 50-lap Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifier. Northern SportMods go 35 laps and chase a top check of $1,000.Twenty-six Modifieds will qualify for the starting grid with the top two non-qualifiers based on track standings completing the field.IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National and Allstar Performance State points will be awarded in both divisions, as will Side Biter Chassis North Central Region points for the Modifieds. Local track points will not be given.Pit gates open at 4 p.m. and the grandstand opens at 5 p.m. Hot laps are at 6:30 p.m. with racing to follow.Entry fees of $65 for Modifieds and $45 for Northern SportMods include the driver’s pit pass. Spectator admission is $17 for adults and $10 for kids. Pit passes are $30.The Mid Iowa Topless will be broadcast by IMCATV.More information is available at the www.hamiltoncospeedway.com website and by calling 515 832-5382.
Ultimately the game was decided by two moments of Chelsea class from Belgian playmaker Eden Hazard. He was fouled by Laurent Koscielny for a penalty in the first half and, with 12 minutes remaining, he left a deep ball from Cesc Fabregas which was calmly collected by in-form striker Diego Costa and rifled into the net. The goals gave Jose Mourinho yet another win over his rival Arsene Wenger. Wilshere accepts Arsenal have to be more ruthless – as they were in the 4-1 demolition of Galatasaray in the Champions League last week – to close the gap on the title contenders after the international break. “At times we controlled the game and that is the difference, at this level when you are playing against a top-class team, when you are on top you have to really make it count,” said the England midfielder. “We created a few half chances, but we never really made it count. “You didn’t really see Cesc Fabregas or Diego Costa all game and then, all of a sudden, a 50-yard ball from Cesc put it on Costa’s foot and it is a great finish, and the game is over. “We have played well, but at this level, against the top three in this league, when you are on top you need to make the opportunities count and if you don’t, then you are going to get punished.” Press Association Jack Wilshere accepts Arsenal will have to quickly find their cutting edge in attack if they are to make a lasting impact on the Barclays Premier League title race. Goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny sees no reason why Arsenal cannot regroup and challenge again when domestic action resumes against Hull on October 18. “We have had a tough run so far, but I would like to think that our start has been solid, not as good as we expected from ourselves, but I believe that, after the international break, we can push on and get more points,” he said. Wilshere returned to the side on Sunday, and produced a resolute display in what was a packed midfield. The 22-year-old, who has come in for some criticism this season, is confident he can continue to grow. “I feel good. I am always looking to improve, no matter what,” he said. “For a player of my age I have missed a lot of football, so I am just trying to play as much as I can, train as much as I can and I have always said that when I get fully fit, you will see the best of me. “Ever since my first injury, it has always taken a run of games – probably between five and 10 games – to get back to my best.” Wenger is, meanwhile, unlikely to face any disciplinary action from the Football Association for pushing Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho during a heated touchline bust-up in the first half. The incident was swiftly dealt with by fourth official Jon Moss and referee Martin Atkinson. The FA is, however, expected to write to both clubs after kick-off was delayed by some 15 minutes because a flare was let off outside the away supporters’ entrance. Turnstiles were closed so smoke could clear before fans were allowed back into the corner of the Shed End. The Gunners slumped to a 2-0 defeat by leaders Chelsea on Sunday, which left them some nine points off the pace already and down in eighth, albeit just four points behind second-placed Manchester City. A half-chance for midfielder Wilshere, when his first touch onto a through ball into the Chelsea box was too heavy, was just about the best opening Arsenal created despite long spells of possession.
Five beds have been closed at Buncrana Nursing Unit due to staff shortages.Fianna Fáil TD for Donegal Charlie McConalogue has hit out at the HSE for failing to replace nursing staff at the unit, leading to the closure of 5 beds at the facility since mid-December.Deputy McConalogue is warning that services are under severe pressure as a result of the staff shortages. “The first week of the New Year is traditionally one of the busiest for our health service and serious questions need to be answered as to why staffing levels at the Buncrana Nursing Unit were allowed to fall so dramatically.“It makes absolutely no sense to have 5 beds at the facility closed at any time but it is particularly the case at a time of peak demand, yet this is exactly what has happened”, said Deputy McConalogue.“The HSE has failed to provide the necessary replacement staff in a timely manner, and this has resulted in a number of bed closures at the unit. It’s now feared that unless these staff shortages are addressed some of the day services may also be affected.“This is completely unacceptable.“The current situation is putting severe pressure on an already overburdened system in Donegal. Patients who would normally be transferred from Letterkenny University Hospital to Buncrana are having to remain in the acute hospital because of the bed closures in Buncrana. “The provision of replacement staff must be made a priority. These beds are essential, not only for the Buncrana unit itself, but also to relieve the overcrowding situation in Letterkenny.“I will be working along with my colleague Cllr. Rena Donaghey to demand additional staff for Buncrana Nursing Unit as a matter of urgency”.Five beds closed at Buncrana Nursing Unit due to staff shortage was last modified: January 5th, 2018 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncrana nursing unitcharlie mc conalogueHSErena donaghey