Wolf Administration Assisting Workers and Businesses Impacted by Tornadoes in Northeastern Pennsylvania

first_img June 18, 2018 Press Release,  PSA,  Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – To help workers and businesses impacted by the severe tornadoes that struck the Wilkes-Barre area of Luzerne County and multiple townships in Bradford County last week, Governor Tom Wolf announced the Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) has activated its Rapid Response Coordination Services.“The unsettling sight of damaged businesses is a reminder of the workers’ lives this affects and the families their paychecks support,” said Governor Wolf. “Within hours after the storm hit, we began preparing to help the workers and employers to get back on their feet.”A team of specialists from the department’s Rapid Response Coordination Services (RRCS) is already working with local officials and businesses. They are meeting with the employers and affected workers to provide information about and access to services, including unemployment insurance, health and pension benefits, financial credit counseling, training programs, job search activities, education services, and social service programs, among others.“Whenever natural disasters create sudden changes in employment, it is a difficult and uncertain time for employees and their families,” said Oleksiak. “Labor & Industry stands ready to help mitigate the hardships and stress displaced workers go through when dealing with an unanticipated loss of income, whether that be from a natural disaster or a mass layoff event.”RRCS activities are typically triggered by a layoff or closure, but can also be activated in response to job or business loss from natural disasters. The RRCS coordinator contacts the company to schedule a meeting, and outline services available. The coordinator will then provide customized and on-site services, in conjunction with the PA CareerLink® network. When rapid response services are complete, affected employees are referred to PA CareerLink® for post-layoff services.Services are state and federally funded, and are provided at no additional charge to the employers and employees, regardless of the reason for the layoffs.The department recently created the Rapid Response Information Guide, which provides a thorough break-down of the program as well as a list of services, resources, and regional contacts for easy referencing. To view the guide, visit Rapid Response Information Guide. Wolf Administration Assisting Workers and Businesses Impacted by Tornadoes in Northeastern Pennsylvaniacenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 74-70 loss to North Carolina State

first_imgMarkell Johnson’s 3-pointer froze Jim Boeheim. It gave North Carolina State a three-point lead with 33.4 seconds locked on the clock. The Wolfpack held on, handing Syracuse its seventh loss in conference and ending its two-game win streak.In a matchup of two NCAA Tournament bubble teams with nearly identical resumes, Syracuse (17-9, 6-7 Atlantic Coast) fell to North Carolina State (17-9, 7-6), 74-70. On Wednesday night inside the Carrier Dome, the Orange entered the game winners of two straight, while NCSU lost in its previous outing to No. 14 North Carolina. The Wolfpack has beaten North Carolina (road), Duke (home) and Clemson (home) this season, which would have given weight to an SU win.Freshman forward Oshae Brissett led Syracuse with 25 points in front of 21,125 fans. The Orange dropped a winnable home game with five games remaining on the schedule, three of which are against opponents ranked in the Top 25.Here are three takeaways from Wednesday’s game.Bubble implicationsWednesday night’s game featured a pair of middle-of-the-pack ACC teams fighting for NCAA Tournament eligibility. Both teams could go dancing. Both may not. Or, only one of them could. But one thing became slightly clearer: Syracuse has made it more difficult to play in the Tournament.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Orange is predicted to lose each of its remaining five games, according to Kenpom.com. Some NCAA Tournament projection brackets include Syracuse, while others do not. The final five games will be telling, of course, but Wednesday’s loss is significant. Mainly, because it came at home.N.C. State has a top-five offense in the ACC, scoring 80.9 points per game entering Wednesday. Four players average double-digit scoring and nine players typically play every night. That depth aided in NCSU’s attack, which handed SU a tough loss.Next up for Syracuse is a trip to Miami this weekend, followed by UNC and Duke in a four-day span. Boston College and Clemson round out the Orange’s remaining games.Matthew Moyer’s moveBefore tipoff, Syracuse’s redshirt freshman Matthew Moyer jogged out to the hoop like the rest of his teammates. Except Moyer did not play Sunday because of lingering pain from the high-ankle sprain he sustained Jan. 24 against Boston College. Moyer wore a protective boot on his left ankle during SU’s victory over Wake Forest last weekend, and his status was unclear.The 6-foot-8 forward who started Syracuse’s first 20 games warmed up with no boot. It was clear that he did not have full strength in his ankle, but he logged productive minutes for SU. He finished with eight points and a handful of quality defensive plays. Over his previous three games off the bench, Moyer had played 34 minutes and scored just two points. Head coach Jim Boeheim made clear that he would not be back in the starting lineup anytime soon, given his lack of contribution to the SU offense. Wednesday he reversed that.With 8:30 left, he drove to what appeared to be an opening in the paint but threw the ball to NCSU, whose Allerik Freeman converted a three-point play at the other end. Junior center Paschal Chukwu entered for Moyer, who was given a round of applause. He re-entered at the four-minute mark, with SU trailing by five.His emergence Wednesday, however slight, offers an idea of what he could add to Syracuse’s depleted frontcourt. Freshman Bourama Sidibe is battling tendinitis, and he has struggled in conference play after a fairly promising first month and a half. Chukwu has been up and down. Freshman Marek Dolezaj has been the lone consistent player on both ends of the floor inside the paint.Achilles arcThe 3-point shot has been Syracuse’s Achilles heel the past two games. Sunday in a near-comeback, Wake Forest drilled six 3-pointers because of a late adjustment in response to one Syracuse had made. The Demon Deacons hit 10 of their 23 long balls to account for 30 of their 70 points.But WFU scored only 18 points inside. That’s why Boeheim has said it’s not an issue if teams hit 3s but don’t score well inside. When teams can beat the zone via the 3 and inside, that hurts, Boeheim said.Down the stretch, NCSU’s Sam Hunt hit back-to-back 3s in front of his own bench. The latter stretched the Wolfpack’s lead to seven with 2:20 remaining. Brissett answered with a 3 of his own, but then NCSU hit the dagger. Johnson drilled back-to-back corner 3s to give NCSU the victory. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 14, 2018 at 11:20 pm Contact Matthew: mguti100@syr.edu | @MatthewGut21last_img read more

Sun Bets termination costs Tabcorp £40 million

first_img Submit Senet Australia appoints Paul Newsom as new client advisory lead  August 27, 2020 Tabcorp double burdened by covid and group impairment charges August 19, 2020 Tabcorp raises $371m through institutional entitlement offer August 24, 2020 Share Share Related Articles StumbleUpon The governance of Australia ASX-listed Tabcorp Holdings has confirmed that it has completed discussions with News UK to terminate its Sun Bets joint-venture.The Sun Bets enterprise will cease trading in the coming days, with Tabcorp set to make a £40 million payment to exit its UK betting joint-venture agreement which began in 2016.Updating investors, David Attenborough Group Chief Executive of Tabcorp stated:“The performance of Sun Bets has been below expectations and we do not expect a material improvement over the next 18 months. As such, we have reached an agreement with News UK to exit the agreement.While we didn’t get it right, we have taken valuable learnings from the Sun Bets start-up process and operations which will inform our approach across our portfolio”.Following a costly 2017 for Sun Bets enterprise, Tabcorp governance would place the joint-venture under strategic-review.Last June, Tabcorp governance would trigger negotiations with Rupert Murdoch’s News UK to terminate the JV arrangement.In its corporate update, Tabcorp governance details that it expects ‘significant costs items’ in its interim report to increase to approximately AUS $91 million (£52 million), with the company absorbing Sun Bets exit payment during the forthcoming trading period.News UK would issue the following statement regarding the closure of Sun Bets;“The Sun is the number one newspaper and digital newsbrand in the UK and we have launched many successful brand extensions such as Sun Bingo and Dream Team. We are increasingly confident in the reach and power of the brand and will firmly remain in the betting and gaming business. We now look forward to executing our vision”.last_img read more